Non Western Exhibit

 As mentioned at the beginning of the semester, I have always been fascinated with Ancient Egyptian culture and art. There is something in their sculptures, pyramids, and art that really captures my mind. That is why I chose to do an art exhibit based upon Egypt. This contains art from an older time period between the Middle Kingdom and New Kingdom in Egypt. 


Statuette of a Hippopotamus. Meir, Egypt. 1981-1885 B.C.

Much like many other Egyptian statutes, I am amazed with artwork from the Middle Kingdom Dynasty in Egypt. This hippopotamus has survived over a thousand years and still maintains a sharp shade of blue; along with the painted river plants on its exterior. With the Nile River having such importance to the ancient Egyptians, the hippopotamus posed a great threat to the people. Hippos have the size and power to overturn boats and rafts. They were also believed to be a threat to travelers in the afterlife. I think the detail that can be seen in the toes and face of the statue are noteworthy, along with the river plant decoration. 


Cosmetic Jar in the Form of a Cat. Egypt. 1991-1783 B.C.

Many know the high status felines held within Egyptian culture. This piece really demonstrates just how important cats were during this time. I find the detail amazing for being as old as it is. Shown are different muscles outlined in the shoulder and hind leg. The cat seems fit and agile, possibly brave and alert. The eyes really captured my attention; formed of rock crystal and injected with pigment to form a green glow. Also outlined with copper. It seems as if Egyptians paid special attention to eyes; such as the Egyptian coffin, they eyes are the first that comes to mind. 


Fish. Lisht North, Egypt. 1981-1640 B.C.

Necklaces with charms like the fish shown were given to young girls in ancient Egypt to help avert drowning. It is believed the charm allowed the wearer to acquire the abilities of a fish if they were to fall into water. This charm was made of gold and a mineral called beryl. I really like the simplicity and colors of the charm. I'm also very impressed the jewelers of this time were able to work with such small pieces of material. I would enjoy having a charm like this; not to wear, rather put on my wall and have it in my room as a small decoration. 


Senwosret III. Egypt. 1836-1818

Senwosret III ruled during a time of great prosperity in Ancient Egypt. Here he is depicted in traditional royal attire. Shown is a head cloth with a cobra and a pleated kilt. This particular king had a very different and recognizable face that can be seen in each of his sculptures. This look is much "softer" than what they typical king was generally depicted, which may or may not be to represent his humanity qualities. The attention to detail in the face of Senwosret's sculptures are remarkable. 

Sources Cited

"Exhibitions: Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity." Brooklyn Museum: Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity. https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/egypt_reborn/senwosret_iii

"Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History." Twelfth Dynasty of Egypt in the Middle Kingdom. https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works/

Comments

  1. Hi James! I've always been fascinated with ancient Egypt as well. All the works you chose are very impressive. I've never seen the cat statue before, and it was very surprising to me! It almost looks like a real cat that was frozen. There's something about those eyes. The statue of Senwosret was very impressive too. I can just imagine how intimidating it would have been to the ordinary person. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my blog post went over ancient Egyptian art as well, although more paintings than sculptures. The ancient Egyptians really did put a lot of effort into their work and produced some really detailed pieces because their art was collective, and to put something in art form was to make it permanent. I haven't seen that cat before either, and it's extremely well done, especially with the eyes. The sculpture of a king there is pretty nicely done too, it appears so smooth it almost looks like plastic. I didn't even see the detail in my research about hippos being a threat to travelers in the afterlife, all the more reason to put it in art form because the threat is as eternal as the afterlife itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James,
    I did Ancient Greece for mine so our pieces are similar!
    For the first piece of art, I love the color and detail in the hippo. As you mentioned, it's crazy that it's survived all these years in such good shape! Definitely a great piece.
    For the second sculpture, the cat to me looks a little creepy, but as you mentioned Ancient Egyptians worshipped cats so I can see why they made this. The eyes also captured my attention as well from the crystal being different than the body. It gives the cat a more real-like look to it.
    For the third piece, I think it's neat that they'd give it to young girls so they'd have the power of the fish when in the water. I also really like the color of the fish!
    For the last one, I like how you mentioned the statue looks softer which could be a representation of how he was in real life, I wouldn't have guessed that. I like this one because it's a common piece seen when looking at Ancient Egyptian art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egypt! I am also fascinated with the art in Egypt and have always wanted to visit. The sculptures you added are all fantastic. I enjoyed the hippopotamus one. I had no idea that there was a belief that they could be a threat to travelers in the afterlife. Interesting! Also, the charm and the meaning behind it were interesting too. They gave it to girls to protect them from drowning! The. The charm is gorgeous too. I love learning about culture through art. I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Renaissance- Baroque Art