Art Analysis

 When it comes to painting and art history, there is no doubt Vincent van Gogh's name will appear. Through visual art, his work will always capture my mind. Below is a picture of Vincent van Gogh's "Starry Night." This painting was done in 1889 with oil on canvas. 


There are a lot of emotions and wonders when I see this painting. It looks like a small-town setting with mountains in the background. Somewhat similar to my hometown and Nome. The swirls and different tones, from dark to light. Looks as if there is a crescent moon and stars shining bright in the dark of night. This particular painting gives me a relaxing and warm feeling. Just as I enjoy looking up at the stars late at night and wondering how it was all put into place so perfectly. 

I want to order myself a copy to hang in my bedroom. My younger 7-year-old cousin has a copy of this painting, along with "Cafe Terrace at Night." Although his name is Vincent as well, he enjoys different styles of art. And for children to enjoy art at a young age, I truly believe it opens their minds and creates different motives. Being a preschool teacher, the students and I paint throughout the week. Mainly with watercolor and acrylic paint. But we also experiment with oil pastels. I want to show them different paintings and see if they would like to paint something similar. Or, if they can be inspired to use similar colors. 

Many young students, including myself as an adult, can easily be disappointed when our work doesn't turn out as expected. When in reality, others may view it as a masterpiece! Not related to "Starry Night," but Van Gogh's other painting: "Green Wheat Field with Cypress." The website mentions as quoted, "Upon its completion, van Gogh actually believed the painting to be a failure." 

Here is a great website that gives great information and a brief history of Van Gogh's "Starry Night." There is also other paintings done by Van Gogh and places that inspired him. 

https://www.artandobject.com/news/brief-history-van-goghs-starry-night


Work Cited

"A Brief History of Van Gogh's Starry Night." Art & Object, https://www.artandobject.com/news/brief-history-van-goghs-starry-night.

Comments

  1. Starry Night by Van Gogh is possibly my favorite piece of artwork of all time, everything he did in it was to bring the pastime of star gazing and put it down on a canvas. From how the swirls are used to represent the clouds and how the various shades of blue are used to help convey the surrounding village, mountains, and the other little details just sticks with me. Always have and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a test comment - I'm helping a student by demonstrating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Western Exhibit

ART 200 Introduction

Renaissance- Baroque Art