Romantic Era- Preferences and Perspectives

Impressionist 

The "Impressionist" style of painting has the following attributes. According to artyfactory.com, these artists were:

The first group of artists to embrace painting outside. This was partially due to the introduction of paint in tubes, which enabled artists to carry their equipment. They also found it necessary to paint outdoors because they were committed to observing the effects of light on color in nature. 


Edgar Degas, Four Dancers, c. 1899, France

Four Dancers by Edgar Degas reflects the outdoor style that was popular in Impressionist paintings. Degas combines the use of small strokes to capture natural light, dancers, and the landscape. As the National Gallery of Art states, "Degas suppressed descriptive detail elsewhere in the painting, emphatic dark lines shape the heads and arms, underlining the artist's formal concerns." 

The idea Degas may have been attempting to portray was that the dancers were ballerinas out in nature. He may have been attempting to put an outdoor background with an indoor activity. The subject and style of this painting does not really appeal to me. I am more inclined to be interested in the post-impressionist style of Vincent Van Gogh. 


Camille Pissarro, Gelee Blanche-Hoarfrost, c. 1873

I first realized what seems to be fog that is on the ground. Then after seeing the title of the painting, Pissarro was trying to portray his impression of hoarfrost. That can be a strength of the impressionist style; blurred lines. In an article, Artyfactory describes this as "artist's sacrifice of accurate lines and details in favor of atmospheric effect." Which is my mistake thinking the hoarfrost as fog is a great example of the effect of this style. 

Pissarro was intending to get the viewer to look at the worker doing labor in cold weather. Which can be either a rural farmer or worker in my opinion. Again, this style does not appeal to me. But I find it very interesting! 

Post-Impressionism


Vincent van Gogh, Starry Night, c. 1889, Saint-Paul Asylum, Saint-Remy, France

This painting by Van Gogh depicts a view of the night sky from his room while he was a patient in the Saint-Paul Asylum in Saint-Remy, France. In Kelly Richman-Abdou's article "Art History: How Van Gogh's The Starry Night Came to Be and Continues to Inspire Artists", the author states, "Starry Night features short, painterly brushstrokes, and artificial color palette, and a focus on luminescence". Now I really see it after reading through the article! 

Starry Night appeals to me because it reveals Van Gogh's interpretation of a world from within. I've been a fan of Van Gogh's art since a child. I have yet to order myself copies, but I can promise I will have a few of his paintings on my bedroom wall. 


Paul Gauguin, Tahitian Landscape, c. 1893, Tahiti 

Gauguin's Tahitian Landscape is a very bright and colorful painting. It gives the impressionist feel while striking out from that style with identifiable brush strokes. Gauguin captured the working lifestyle of the South Pacific Islands in this painting. As you can see, he includes a dog just left to the person carrying two back on a yoke going across their shoulders. Artyfactory states that "Gauguin has fused his symbolic use of color with images of both environments to create a highly personal and expressive vision that pushed art towards the exhilarating style of Fauvism". 

I would definitely put this in my bedroom or living room as well! I enjoy bright colors and this would light up my view every time. My preference is for the Post-Impressionist style. The color palette is more appealing. The brush strokes seem bold. Definitely a fan of this painting style. 

Works Cited










Comments

  1. Hi James, I tend to look for works of art that catches my eye. I like the ballerina painting, although I could not understand what it meant to be a ballerina dancer, outside. I could understand the post-impressionist style, because it is landscape painting, and it displays fog and the also dark skies or shades in the sky by fog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Western Exhibit

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Renaissance- Baroque Art